Wednesday, February 23, 2011

20 Sweets in 20 Weeks - #12: Apple & Cinnamon Slice

Apple & Cinnamon Slice

So we are up to number 12 in the 20 Sweets in 20 Weeks project - definitely over the half way mark and I am started to get excited about finishing this little project up. I have the next 8 sweet genres planned out - and let me tell you, there is still a lot of sweet goodies to come your way.

Anyway on to the baked slice - this was a close call between lemon & coconut, and apple & cinnamon. Secretly I was hoping that lemon & coconut would win, but I am still happy with the result. This slice is extremely easy to make since you get to cheat a bit by using a packet of cake mix for the base. The bottom is nice and crunchy thanks to the added coconut, and the canned apple & sour cream make for a lovely moist top to the slice, which is then finished off with cinnamon sugar. Such a simple slice with simple flavours that you just know are going to work together. Why not give it a try?

Apple & Cinnamon Slice

Apple and Cinnamon Slice (from taste.com.au)
Serves 8

340g packet golden buttercake mix
90g desiccated coconut
125g unsalted butter, melted
400g can apple pieces
300g sour cream
1 tsp cinnamon sugar
  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 20cm square cake pan. Line base and the two opposite sides with baking paper, extending the paper 5cm over edge of pan.
  2. Combine cake mix, coconut and butter in a medium bowl. Press mixture evenly over base of prepared pan. Cook for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool slightly.
  3. Spread apple evenly over base, then spread sour cream evenly over apple and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Cook for further 20 minutes, or until sour cream has set.
  4. Cool in pan. Cut the slice into fingers to serve.
Apple & Cinnamon Slice

9 comments:

O. said...

this looks really good.

Melanie's Randomness said...

I haven't eaten lunch yet so my mouth just salivating. I have to make this. I love apples & cinnamon!!!! =)

Melanie's Randomness

By the Bluegrass said...

Oh, dear lord...I am starting to dream about your baking. And, I am going to go through withdraw when it's over. This looks unbelievable! I'm over here drooling again!
xo,
Sena

paperpocket said...

Oh I have got to try that!

oneordinaryday said...

What a pretty dessert!

Kat said...

that looks delicious!

Paris Pastry said...

Oh, yum, yum! The crust looks so crumbly & thick!! Eager to see what the next sweet will be. I voted for the banana whoopie pies.

Rachel said...

This looks soooooper yummy!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

These look amazing, Alicia! Reminds me of apple cream cheese bars I've made that also had almonds in it.