Saturday, September 5, 2009

R is for Raspberry White Chocolate Cupcakes...


White chocolate mud cake with raspberry swirled through, topped with whipped cream and raspberry jam.

Now before we start can I first say sorry in advance, these cupcakes were a disaster! I was so excited about this weeks cupcakes. The plan was to make white chocolate mud cupcakes with raspberry swirled through it, top it with raspberry swiss meringue buttercream and then some white chocolate curls. Doesn't that sound good? Yeah I thought so too.

I taught myself a valuable lesson with these cupcakes, if you add too much liquid to cupcake batter you will end up of with horribly misshaped volcano looking thingys that can not leave the household unless you want to bring great shame upon your name. I should have added a few whole raspberries to each cupcake, but I didn't. Instead I thought it would be cool to mush up the raspberries and add a large tablespoon to each cupcake - this is not a good idea, don't do it. The cupcakes were so bad that I didn't even make my SMBC. Instead I picked out the best looking one, topped it with some whipped cream and raspberry jam and took my photo to record my disaster. The rest of the cupcakes were broken up put into a large bowl with some custard, strawberry jelly and whipped cream, and was made into a divine trifle. May I suggest you do this if you have any baking disasters - it was fabulous! Anyway I will now give you the recipe - proceed with caution...

White Chocolate Cupcakes with Raspberries (adapted from The Australian Women's Weekly - Cupcakes)
Makes 16 cupcakes

250g unsalted butter, chopped
160g white chocolate
440g caster sugar
250ml milk
150g plain flour
150g self-raising flour
2 eggs
300g frozen raspberries, thawed
  1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius and line 2 12-hole muffin trays with cupcake cases.
  2. Combine butter, chocolate, sugar and milk in small saucepan; stir over low heat until smooth. Transfer mixture to medium bowl; cool 15 minutes.
  3. Whisk in sifted flours, then eggs. Divide mixture among cases.
  4. Add 2 or 3 raspberries to each case - DON'T mush up the raspberries and swirl through like I did.
  5. Bake for 30 minutes.
  6. Top with whipped cream and raspberry jam, if desired.

The ratings?

1/10 - they tasted alright, but everything else about them was a complete disaster :(

12 comments:

http://abebedorespgondufo.blogs.sapo.pt/ said...

Good Blog.

Sue said...

Your honesty is refreshing! So many blogs make their writers seem "perfect" and this is unrealistic. We all learn from our mistakes, and we learn even more when others tell us about THEIR mistakes. I think I might like White chocolate cupcakes with Raspberry Buttercream frosting and fresh raspberries or RB jam on top. White chocolate raspberry cheesecake is one of my favorites so these flavors are great together.

I also have to let you know that your recipes look SO GREAT, that I purchased a scale so I could make them. Most U.S. recipes are not in metric and I have no metric measuring equipment. It takes some time to do the conversions, so I made the leap and bought a scale so I could make recipes from yours and other Australian bloggers. People say it's more accurate to weigh than measure when baking, anyway, so it will be a good addition to my kitchen.

GLad you had a nice vacation- cute photos of you and your family!

apparentlyjessy said...

What a bummer they didn't turn out how you wanted! We all have our fair share of cupcake disasters, I sure do! I still think the cupcake pictured looks yummy. A white chocolate and raspberry trifle sounds SO delicious though!!

Christy said...

I'm so sad, yet delighted that even you stuff up some times ;)

Still looks yummy. Seeing the picture of raspberries this week made me go and buy a box of frozen ones, HOW DELICIOUS. Really looking forward to the snickers ones... can't really stuff up a choc caramel cake????

Christy

Anon said...

I guess you were bound to have a disaster one day, after 17 unmitigated successes! You're only yuman!

I still think they look delish, and the trifle idea with the crumbled cupcake sounds totally totally delish!

P.S. Do you remember on Masterchef when Gary/George crumbled the cupcake to serve it on a board in a Masterclass?! I thought he was taking eccentric presentation to the extreme, but at least you know you are bang on trend!

Gala said...

the raspberry smbc sounds amazing, too bad it didn't work out, don't be hard on yourself your cupcakes turn out amazing every time so one little baking disaster is totally cool.

Cathie said...

hey I have had a few volcanoes aswell! at least you got a good end result with the broken up cupcakes.

cookies and cups said...

well, even if the cupcakes didn't turn out, your picture is still beautiful as always! and the trifle sounds awesome!

Paris Pastry said...

Too bad they weren't as great as you hoped, they still look good to me though!

Elissa said...

Sorry to hear it wasn't what you wanted, but the positive is that you did learn something. I like the trifle idea, I will have to keep that in mind.

Amanda said...

hahaha... oops!

When I have cupcake/cake disasters I like to use the cake for Bakerella-esque cake truffles. They are soooo good and white mud/raspberry would be a great cake truffle flavor. I might "ruin" some cake just to try it. :)

Chantel said...

Doh! haha

Not to worry mate, this is your first real flop.

Glad you turned it into that trifle - sounds delicous!