Monday, September 14, 2009

Baking Mondays - T is for Toblerone Cupcakes

Vanilla cake with chunks of Toblerone, filled with Toblerone Swiss meringue butter cream, and topped with Toblerone Swiss meringue butter cream & a piece of Toblerone.


Now I have to be completely honest with you. This week I was really hoping that tropical would win the polls because I didn't want to make chocolate cake this week - and what else can you make if you are making Toblerone cupcakes? So when Toblerone won I was a little disappointed, but then I thought of making vanilla cupcakes with Toblerone pieces in the batter. Much better - we still get to enjoy the awesome flavour of Toblerone chocolate, but I can also get away with making something other than chocolate cupcakes.

Vanilla and Toblerone Cupcakes (adapted from Planet Cake)
Makes 15 cupcakes

175g unsalted butter, softened
160g caster sugar
1 tsp natural vanilla extract
1 tsp grated lemon zest
2 eggs
160g self-raising flour
100g plain flour
200ml milk
50g toblerone, chopped into small pieces
  1. Preheat the oven to 180C and line 2 12-hole muffin trays with paper cases.
  2. Beat butter, sugar, vanilla, lemon zest and a pinch of salt until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
  3. Sift the flours together. Using a wooden spoon, fold the flour and milk alternately into the creamed mixture.
  4. Fold in the chopped Toblerone.
  5. Spoon mixture into the paper cases and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  6. Leave in tray for 5 minutes and then transfer to wire racks to cool.


Now while those babies are cooling off, start off your Toblerone Swiss meringue butter cream...

Toblerone Swiss Meringue Butter Cream

270g caster sugar
4 egg whites
250g unsalted butter
200g Toblerone, roughly chopped
  1. Follow the directions for Almond Swiss meringue butter cream but omit the vanilla and almond essence.
  2. Microwave the Toblerone in 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval until melted. Allow to cool slightly.
  3. Beat the melted Toblerone into your SMBC until you reach the desired consistency.

Now that you have your Toblerone SMBC and some cooled cupcakes it is time to get filling! First if you have an apple corer use that to cut out some cake from each cupcake. If you don't have one you can always just cut out a well using a small knife.


Now using your piping bag with a normal round nozzle fill each hole with yummy SMBC...


To finish off your cupcakes pipe a swirl of the Toblerone SMBC and finally put a chunk of Toblerone on each cupcake. Don't they look yummy...


Just a quick note, cupcakes are so much easier to bake when you have a little helper continually trying to pull down your pants - here is my helper...

Pretty cute huh!

The ratings?

Me - 9/10, the SMBC on these is amazing - it is like a Toblerone mousse with yummy chewy bits of nougat through it. I also quite like the vanilla cake recipe - the texture and moisture level of the cake is perfect.
Mat - 7/10. good cupcake - perfect size. Just not as flash as a few of the past cupcakes (coming off snickers is pretty hard).


Don't forget to enter the giveaway!

11 comments:

Paris Pastry said...

I adore Toblerone! It is one of my favorite kinds of chocolate! I like that you used a vanilla cupcake instead, I think with the Toblerone you already have enough chocolate-y flavour.

Look at those beautiful blue eyes! *melts*

Gala said...

Yum!
I was wondering, you make a lot of smbc, do you keep the egg yolks? And if yes what do you do with them, freeze'em?

Sue said...

Ohhh..yum. I will make these..I love Toblerone...and snickers...oh dear.

I also just bought a cupcake carrier.not cute and pretty but really practical..at Costco :-)

Have case will travel.

Amy said...

oh WOW! I want to make those!!! But my oven is broken waah! :(

You are amazing!

xoxo

Chantel said...

Oooh I voted for Tropical!! Maybe you can make them another time :)

These looked great though. HAHA loved Mat's comments - you've set very high standards now!

Zoe is just so cute - she's going to be a heartbreaker!!

boots said...

these Toblerone cupcakes are close to my heart, these were my mothers favorite candies to eat while she was on skiing trips <3 it was a nice memory for you to bring back to me

Ash said...

These are quite spectacular!

Elissa said...

These again look amazing and I love all the pictures showing you how to make them also. I agree with Chantel - Zoe is such a cutie!

Mitsy / ArtMind said...

Hmmmm, I just drool when I visit your blog! :)

apparentlyjessy said...

Yum mo! I love Toberlones!
Yep Zoe is pretty darn cute! Love those big blue eyes :)

Becky Farley said...

So cute!! She looks like trouble in that super precious way!