Monday, September 7, 2009

Baking Mondays - S is for Snickers Cupcakes

Chocolate cake filled with caramel and nuts, topped with caramel swiss meringue buttercream, chunks of Snickers and nuts, and finally drizzled with milk chocolate.


Snickers would have to be one of my all time favourite chocolate bars, so when they won the poll last week you could say that I was just a little bit excited. Lets see - chocolate, caramel, nougat and peanuts - could there be a better combination of yumminess? I think not.


I was actually a bit nervous this week after my absolute failure with my white chocolate raspberry cupcakes - but I am happy to report that these cupcakes rocked my socks off! I am officially back on track. So without further ado I present you with the recipe for Snickers cupcakes - The Red Deer style...

Devil's Food Cake from The Australian Women's Weekly - Classic Cakes
Made 20 cupcakes

180g unsalted butter, softened
385g caster sugar
3 eggs
225g self-raising flour
75g plain flour
1/2 tsp bi-carb soda
70g cocoa powder
3 tsps instant coffee granules
125ml water
125ml milk
  1. Preheat the oven to 180 C. Line 2 12-hole muffin trays with cupcake cases.
  2. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in the eggs one at a time.
  3. Fold in sifted flours, soda and cocoa with combined coffee, water and milk, in two batches.
  4. Spoon mixture into cupcake cases and bake for 30 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean). Set aside to cool.

Snickers Cupcake Filling


1 cup peanuts
1 tin of Top'n'Fill Caramel
  1. Mix together the peanuts and caramel. As a side note if you are not short of time it would be far yummier to make your own caramel - but with a baby constantly trying to pull down my pants I decided to take the easy route.
  2. Once the cupcakes have cooled cut a well out of each cupcake, fill with the Snickers filling and then replace the piece of cupcake that was cut out.


Caramel Swiss Meringue Buttercream


Follow the directions for almond swiss meringue buttercream but replace the vanilla extract and almond essence with 4 tablespoons of caramel flavoured ice-cream topping.


Putting it all together

First off you need to make your topping so you will need the following...

1 cup milk chocolate melts
1/4 cup peanuts, roughly chopped
2 Snickers bars, roughly chopped
  1. Top each cupcake with a swirl of caramel swiss meringue buttercream.
  2. Sprinkle each cupcake with the combined peanuts and Snickers bar.


  3. Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring between intervals.
  4. Drizzle each cupcake with chocolate.
  5. Devour...


So the ratings?

Me - 9/10 - I think the only change I would make is to make my own caramel - that would make it super yummy! Other than that I love these cupcakes!
Mat - 10/10 - snickerrific!

29 comments:

Mat said...

These cupcakes are awesome to a factor of rad! Had another one this morning. :)

Comments around the office are also quite positive - even the hardest critic has gone for 10 out of 10.

Good job honey. :D

Anon said...

I love your husband's comment above! And he must be the most popular guy in his office if he brings your cupcakes in every week!

Anonymous said...

Oooo I LOVE snickers too. Yummo, I want to eat one right out of the screen!!

palepink said...

mmmm...looks so so super....I have to make these....thank you

Mitsy / ArtMind said...

Hmm, these look amazing. I think your husband is very lucky! :)

Chantel said...

Aww zoe was trying to help...LOL

I love anything with nuts - these look so good. I wish I could taste test!

I never noticed before but it looks like you have a stainless steel kitchen top - Cool!!

:D

Katie Taylor said...

oh my days.

Katie Taylor said...

oh and can i just ask a question.
i have always made butter cream the easy way (butter, sifted icing sugar and vanilla essence)
no egg whites. will it be okay to add things like caramel do you think? i imagine it won't be as soft or light as using egg whites.
i unfortunately don't have an electric whisk....(although i asked for a mixer for my birthday) :)
x

Gala said...

Wooooooow!
You totally made up for the last cupcake oops!
Wow these look amazing!!!

Rhianne said...

wow, they look amazing!! Yum

Anna said...

Those cupcakes look absolutely gorgeous! I will have to make them one day, snickers are so nice :D

Amanda said...

excellent! I know exactly who to make this cupcake for. :)

Kylie G said...

these look so good - I've added them to my "to bake" list. Thanks!

Pity said...

oh my blog! this is almost a sin! they looks divin! wonderful recipe and blog, i will be back for more,

cheers from london,

pity

apparentlyjessy said...

I would say Snickers is my favourite chocolate bar too. These cupcakes look SO yummy, I bet they were lovely and rich too.

boots said...

holy smokeS! those look like heaven on earth. cute would die!
i huess i need to make a grocery list.

cookies and cups said...

That looks so good! I am going to try this one for sure!

drollgirl said...

these look and sound divine! i bet they are the perfect pick-me-up, and i wish i was making (or eating) them now!

Sugar Daze said...

drool, slurp, these look mighty delicious! i'm a sucker for snickers!

Elissa said...

Wow these look amazing! Congrats on a job well done and I am totally loving all the photos, especially the nuts and caramel, that just makes my mouth water

Ash said...

whoa, these are some seriously good looking cupcakes! Who wouldn't give these a 10 out of 10!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

Those look crazy-good! I can't even imagine...

Rachael, Pistachio Press said...

Cupcakes are my vice! I love eating them for breakfast and I can't believe I didn't know that someone was going through the alphabet for the love of cupcakes. Glad to have found your blog!

Jenn said...

ahhhh no! now I have to make them, not a good thingg!

:) but they look so friggin good.

joanna of simple blueprint said...

oh no! i just need them! Posted a photo of your yummy cupcake along with the winning post of the SEEK GIVEAWAY over at simple blueprint. you are the lucky winner! congrats!

Domestic Chris(tine) said...

how good are these little gems! i made them over the weekend, and i think i have lost my husbands love to these cupcakes lol.

i did make the frosting, but may have done something bad as it separated when i went to frost them. it was pretty hot in sydney, so maybe the heat affected it?

regardless, one of your best!

i look very much forward to cupcake monday :)

Kate21 said...

You are my hero! I made this last week...amazing! I did make my own caramel and it was divine! I also added top'n'fill to the buttercream instead of the topping, it was delish! Just a question about your buttercream, do you find you need to add more then 250g? I found I needed to add another 150g to get it right, although it was my 1st time trying the Swiss way I usually do Italian Buttercream. Off to decide which recipe I should try next :o)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate,

I have never needed to add more butter - but maybe because you are in warmer weather? I have no idea really :P

I tried leaving a comment on your blog - but the post comment link didn't work.

Alicia.

Kate21 said...

Thanks for letting me know about the comments, I'm new to all this stuff!

Maybe your right about the heat, I will try the swiss way again as it's a tad bit eaiser and has less butter then the Italian BC (which is why hubby won't eat it)

Thanks again lovely! Great work with your latest cupcake creation too!