Stop the press. I think I have found a new favourite dessert. I have always called lemon cheesecake my favourite dessert, but now that I have tasted this divine strawberries and cream tart - I think the cheesecake's days are numbered. The texture of the filling is so light, smooth and creamy, and then the strawberries on top covered in sweet sticky jam perfectly finish off this tart. I would have to say that it is a perfect summer dessert (and yes it is summer down here in Australia :P).
Now because I am true and honest blogger I have something to tell you, and well, this is hard for me to say, but... I used a store bought tart case. I know there is no excuse for not making the pastry myself, but this week has been a bit chaotic and quite frankly I just couldn't be bothered. So there is my dirty little secret. And now that the secret is out I feel a lot better. Also if you are feeling lazy like me that makes this the perfect dessert for you - just buy a tart case, quickly whip up the filling and top with strawberries and jam. Couldn't be easier!
Strawberries and Cream Tart (from taste.com.au)
1 1/3 cups plain flour
2 tablespoons caster sugar
90g butter, chilled, chopped
250g cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 teaspoon rum (I used 1 teaspoon of honey instead)
500g small strawberries, hulled (I used large strawberries hulled and cut in half)
1/4 cup strawberry jam, warmed
- Process flour, caster sugar and butter in a food processor until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg. Process until pastry just comes together.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth. Press into a 10cm (diameter) disc. Wrap in greaseproof paper. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Place a baking tray into oven. Preheat oven and tray to 200°C. Roll out pastry on a floured surface to a 5mm-thick round. Line a 3cm deep, 19cm (base) loose-based tart pan with pastry. Refrigerate for 5 minutes.
- Line pastry case with baking paper. Fill with raw rice. Place onto hot baking tray. Bake for 10 minutes or until edges are light golden. Remove baking paper and rice. Bake for a further 8 to 10 minutes or until pastry case is light golden. Set aside to cool.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, sour cream, icing sugar and rum until smooth. Spread mixture in cold pastry case. Top with strawberries. Brush with warm jam. Cover. Refrigerate overnight. Serve.
Me cheating with a store bought tart case.
Add the filling.
Cut up the strawberries.
Arrange the strawberries on top of the filling.
Finish by brushing with warm jam - voila!