Monday, August 24, 2009

Baking Mondays - Q is for Anzac cupcakes with 'Q'uick oats


Anzac cake topped with vanilla swiss meringue buttercream and an Anzac biscuit.

I think that any Australian would straight away associate oats and baking with Anzac biscuits. For those of you that don't know Anzac biscuits are made from rolled oats, flour, coconut, sugar, butter, golden syrup and bicarbornate of soda. Sound good? Yeah I thought so. There is also a bit of background associated with these little beauties, since the ingredients do not easily spoil they were sent with the men in the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) during World War I. So they hold a special meaning to us all in Australia and we like to consume them on mass on Anzac day (April 25th). So yeah, when oats won I knew straight away I was going to make some Anzac cupcakes and here is the recipe I used...

Anzac cupcakes (from Best Recipes)
Makes 16 cupcakes

125 g unsalted butter
250 g golden syrup
6 eggs
120 g self-raising flour, sifted
120 g rolled oats (I used quick oats)
150 g desiccated coconut
80 g icing sugar, sifted
  1. Preheat oven to 170°C; line 2 12-hole muffin tins with cupcake liners.
  2. Melt butter and golden syrup over low heat, set aside to cool slightly then beat in eggs.
  3. Combine flour, oats, icing sugar and coconut in a bowl, stir in butter mixture.
  4. Spoon into prepared muffin tins and bake for 20 minutes, test with cake skewer.

Vanilla Swiss Meringue Buttercream


Follow the directions for Almond Swiss Meringue Buttercream, but use 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract and omit the almond essence.

Assembling the cupcakes
  1. Once cupcakes have cooled pipe a swirl of SMBC.
  2. Top each cupcake with an Anzac biscuit (I bought mine - because I am lazy, but you could use this recipe from Best Recipes instead).

The ratings?

Me - 8/10, the cake really does taste like an Anzac biscuit (yum!), but it is a bit dense. I love the vanilla SMBC and Anzac combination, and can't complain with a biccy as well!
Mat - 9/10, just like an Anzac biscuit, only more cupcakey.

Also don't forget to enter my little giveaway - you have until tomorrow :)

And with that I am off - there is a crazy storm here at the moment and the lights keep flickering - scary!!

9 comments:

Mermaid Sews said...

Great cupcakes. I have to try those biscuits, never have.

Ash said...

I had my first taste of these fine cookies when I was down under! I just love em!! And Cupcake style is even better!

Red Boots said...

You got me at almond swiss meringue buttercream...! I've never tried that, but it sounds amazing! x

Elissa said...

They look great and I think for next year they will be a nice alternative to surprise people with. I also like the idea of the vanilla buttercream, another thing I will have to try!

apparentlyjessy said...

I like the idea of a Anzac cupcake, I would love to try this recipe sometime!

Chantel said...

Lest we forget.

I love Mat's ratings...LOL Cupcakey

Hope everything survived the storm!

alissa said...

you are so creative! this is really unique - very cool

Talia said...

Oh wow, what an intriguing way of making ANZACs! I only ever make them as regular biscuits (found the most devine recipe for them on Donna Hay- I think I've blogged it before...)

I will have to try these!

Anonymous said...

yum!