Monday, August 10, 2009

Baking Mondays - O is for Oreo Cupcakes


Chocolate Oreo cupcake topped with Oreo cream cheese frosting and an Oreo.

Can I just say yum! These cupcakes are really, really good - I could eat a lot of them, although I am refraining myself from doing so. Even Mat said it was one of the best cupcakes I have made so far, so that must be saying something. So if you like Oreos and chocolate (and who doesn't) then you must make these cupcakes - trust me you will love them.

Oreo Cupcakes from the Cupcake Project
Makes 18 cupcakes (I got 29 out of it - my cupcake trays are small)

3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 1/4 cups brown sugar (I only used 3/4 cup)
8 oz dark chocolate, melted
3 large eggs, separated
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 3/4 cups milk
8 Oreo cookies, smashed to bits (place the cookies in a plastic bag and smash with a rolling pin)
29 Oreos halved
29 Oreos to decorate cupcakes with
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius and line 3 12-hole muffin trays with cupcake liners.
  2. In each cupcake liner place half an Oreo (the half with the cream filling still on it). Reserve the other half for the frosting.
  3. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  4. Mix in egg yolks.
  5. Mix in vanilla and chocolate.
  6. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
  7. Alternate adding the flour mixture and milk to the butter/sugar mixture.
  8. Stir in Oreos.
  9. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites until peaks form.
  10. Fold the batter into the egg whites.
  11. Fill cupcake liners almost to the top.
  12. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  13. Once cupcakes have cooled top with Oreo cream cheese frosting and an Oreo.
Cream Cheese Oreo Frosting by Cupcake Project

8 oz package of cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened (I used 3/4 cup)
3-4 cups icing sugar (I used 4 cups)
1/2 t vanilla extract (I omitted this)
3/4 C crushed Oreos (I used the 29 half pieces of Oreo cookies from the cupcakes, crushed very finely in a food processor)
  1. Whip cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
  2. Mix in powdered sugar one cup at a time.
  3. Add vanilla extract. (I didn't do this)
  4. Gently stir in crushed Oreos.

The Ratings?

Me - 9/10 - almost perfect! The cake is light and spongy with a great flavour, not too rich and not too sweet. The frosting is yummo and having the secret Oreo on the bottom of the cupcake is great.
Mat - 10/10 - sensational!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

This one looks sooooo good! I really want one right now.

Elissa said...

It looks heavenly and is making my mouth water.

Unknown said...

I really should not have looked.
This looks AMAZING.

Jamie said...

OK, I have to go and buy some oreo's now. I've been checking all day for this recipe. I reckon its worth the wait.

Gala said...

LOVE it!!

There are so many oreo (cookies n cream) cupcakes out there but yours looks like a really safe risk!

I'll be making these hopefully soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh these look divine. I want to make them now!!

Interesting that you didn't put as much sugar in the cupcake recipe. Quite a significant amount less actually.

Anon said...

OMG, I am so jealous that I don't have a stash of 27 of these in my cupboard right now.

cookies and cups said...

I have made oreo cupcakes before, but never with a cream cheese icing! That sounds great!

drollgirl said...

PRINTING!!! yum, yum, YUM!!! looks so good!!!

Trish said...

Yep....I am liking these already!

Domestic Chris(tine) said...

wow wow wow!

I know what I'm baking this weekend.

apparentlyjessy said...

Ooooh I love Oreos, this cupcake looks fantastic and oh so delicious!

Amanda said...

We had an oreo pie at my undergrad university and it was so sought after that it would disappear immediately after being put out. This cupcake reminds me of that pie. :)

Chantel said...

I just want to lick the icing from the top! LOL

Fiesta Saurus Rex said...

ahh my friends were thinking of what kind of cupcakes to make for their wedding, and we definitely thought about the secret oreo

Anonymous said...

We are going to have an oreo cupcake baking fest on the weekend. I am planning on trying two different bases (vanilla with oreo and the chocolate one in your recipe) to see which I prefer.

I can't wait!!

boots said...

i made these last night! they were so good, blogged about it today! www.cutenboot.blogspot.com