Honey, orange and almond syrup cake topped with nougat cream and chunks of almond nougat.
We had a very clear winner this week, nougat absolutely smashed the nuts (no pun intended) and the neapolitan in the polls, and why wouldn't it? Nougat is delicious - sometimes chewy, sometimes crunchy, full of nuts and always good. But how do you incorporate nougat into a cupcake? Well first of all I thought of the nougat flavours that I particularly like - and I came up with almonds and honey. So of course it was only natural to make a lovely almond and honey syrup cake. Then what do you top said syrup cake with? I decided not to go down the SMBC (swiss meringue buttercream) route this week and instead went for a whipped cream topping instead, with just a taste of almond, orange and honey.
So shall we get started....
Honey and Orange Almond Cupcakes (taken from Chef 2 Chef, I halved the recipe)
Makes 12 cupcakes
1 cup sugar (I used caster sugar)
1 cup almond, ground (110g almond meal)
1 cup plain flour, sifted
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground all spice (I used mixed spice)
4 large eggs
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 tsp orange zest
1/3 cup orange juice
1/2 cup honey
1/6 cup icing sugar
1/8 cup water
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a 12-hole muffin tray with cupcake papers.
- Combine the almond meal, flour, cinnamon and mixed spice in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix eggs with sugar until very thick, approximately 10 minutes.
- Beat in the melted butter and orange zest and then fold in the almond mixture.
- Divide the batter among the cupcake papers and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- To make the syrup combine the orange juice, icing sugar, honey and water in a saucepan and heat until sugar dissolves and the mixture is hot.
- Once cupcakes are baked spoon over the syrup.
300ml thickened cream
3 tbsp honey
1/4 tsp orange essence
1/4 tsp almond essence
Beat all ingredients until you reach a piping consistency - don't overbeat the cream!!
Assembling the cupcakes
- Pipe the nougat cream onto each cupcake.
- Top each cupcake with some almond nougat. Go crazy - you know you want to!
Me - 9/10, this is cake is lovely - nice and light and I love the spices in the mix - tasty stuff! The cream is good for something different, but I don't think I would use the almond essence again.
Mat - 8/10, cake was dense but still awesome!