It is Iron Cupcake time again and this month the not-so-secret ingredient was apple. As soon as the ingredient was announced I started to rack my brain - toffee apples, apple pie, baked apples, apple crumble - arrrghh! What to do? I finally decided that you just can't mess with the apple and cinnamon combination, I know it isn't very inventive but it is darn tasty!
Apple Cinnamon Cupcakes (from Confetti Cakes for Kids by Elisa Strauss)
Makes 24 cupcakes
3 3/4 cups plain flour
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 cup unsalted butter
3 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup apple sauce
2 apples, peeled and chopped finely
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line 2 12-hole muffin trays with cupcake papers.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cloves. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping after each addition.
- Alternately add the flour mixture and the apple sauce to the butter mixture in three batches, starting with the flour. Scrape down the bowl after each addition and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Add the apples and stir them in just until they are incorporated.
- Divide the batter among the cupcake papers and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Cream Cheese Buttercream
60g butter, softened
160g cream cheese, softened
3 cups icing sugar (approximately)
- Beat butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in sifted icing sugar until you reach the consistency you want.
- Spread over cooled cupcakes and then top with a dusting of ground cinnamon.
Look at those yummy chunks of apple...
All lined up ready to be packed up in the cupcake courier...
Well this one didn't make it to the courier :P
Our Generous IronCupcake:Earth Prize Providers: