So you might be asking what does one bake when feeling under the weather? Why Chocolate Freckle Cookies of course. These bright and pretty cookies should be enough to make anyone feel just that little bit better.
Chocolate Freckle Cookies (from The Australian Women's Weekly - Cookies)
125g unsalted butter, softened
165g brown sugar
225g plain flour
35g self-raising flour
35g cocoa powder
200g dark chocolate, melted
85g hundreds and thousands
- Beat butter, sugar and egg until combined. Stir in sifted dry ingredients in two batches.
- Knead dough on floured surface until smooth; roll dough between sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180C and line baking trays with baking paper.
- Using 3cm and 5cm round cutters (I used star cutters) cut rounds from the dough. Place 3cm rounds on one tray and 5cm rounds on another.
- Bake small cookies for 10 minutes and larger cookies for 12 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
- Spread tops of cookies with chocolate (I ended up dipping my cookies and then tidying up the edges, it was a lot quicker), sprinkle with hundreds and thousands. Set at room temperature.