Wednesday, December 2, 2009

On the sixth day of Christmas (Florentines)

On the sixth day of Christmas my true love gave to me six geese a laying... or in my case a successful batch of Florentines. These are so simple and easy to make, it really is just a case of mixing all the ingredients together, baking them and finally spreading on some melted chocolate. The best part is that the florentines look very festive and they taste really good. Nice and sweet, with a bit of chew and a bit of crunch. Just what the doctor ordered, well actually a doctor would probably not order this due to the sweetened condensed milk - what a silly saying! Or perhaps just not the correct saying for this situation. Anyways that is besides the point, these florentines are easy and yummy, and they keep for a month in an air-tight container in the fridge - so they are great for Christmas presents. So what are you waiting for? Go make some :)


Florentines (from The Australian Women's Weekly - The Christmas Book)
Makes about 35

60g cornflakes
80g sultanas
35g dried currants
60g red glace cherries, chopped
60g green glace cherries, chopped
105g slivered almonds, toasted
3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
200g dark chocolate, melted
  1. Combine cornflakes, fruit, nuts and condensed milk in a large bowl and mix well.
  2. Drop level tablespoons of mixture about 4cm apart on oven trays covered with baking paper.
  3. Bake at 180C for 8 minutes, or until browned lightly. Cool on trays.
  4. Spread bases of florentines with chocolate; make wavy lines in chocolate with fork just before chocolate sets.

Spread the bases with chocolate...


Make a swirly pattern on the bases with a fork...


Then try not to eat them all...


Oh and if you have some left over chocolate why not make some chocolate freckles. Just spread little circles of chocolate on baking paper then cover with 100s and 1000s and allow to set. Yummy...


Rating?
5 out of 5 reindeers!

18 comments:

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I would make short work of those!

My Owl Barn said...

Yum! Chocolate makes everything taste better even cornflakes. Thanks for sharing!

Cathie said...

wow, easy but they look really special.

Paris Pastry said...

Oooh yummy!!! The swirling on the back looks lovely.

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

This looks great, Alicia! I love simple recipes with cute results. Very nice to give us a way to use extra chocolate too. I always seem to end up with excess ingredients...

Gala said...

Was about time something worked out for you! I'm sure from now on everything is gonna turn out delicious!

Patricia Scarpin said...

These are lovely! It's such a good idea to bind all those delish ingredients with chocolate... ;)

White Toast with Butter said...

I love your site and Clive!

Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life said...

Ummmm can you ship some of those to me???? SUPER YUMMY looking!

Renata said...

Yummy.. This looks awesome!!

Anonymous said...

Erin - sure :P

Shannon said...

they look super festive

emma wallace said...

Ooh! They look so addictive! I love the cornflakes/chocolate combo. Mmm...

iamemmamusic.blogspot.com

Katie said...

They look fantastic. Much better than shop bought!

Ash said...

I love these!! Although I love the choc freckles too!! I might just have to make a batch of those alone!

apparentlyjessy said...

My Grandma made a batch of these a couple of Christmas's ago, and I remember eating waaaay too many of them, they are so moorish!
Thank you for posting these and reminding me, I might make them myself or ask Grandma to make them again!!

Gabbi said...

This looks so good and almost easy!! Will definitely have to try... you're a baking genius Alicia.

Chantel said...

Oh yes, I imagined the crunch and the chew as I read this...Yummo!

These might be the go for those christmas present things I'm looking to make - thanks :)