Thursday, December 10, 2009

On the eighth day of Christmas (White Rocky Road)

Okay so apologies in advance, there is a total lack of photos for this recipe - but it couldn't be helped! For one thing it was a very gray day so the lighting was not so good. Then Zoe didn't exactly want me to do any baking (picture tears, tantrums and a whole lot of carry on), so it was all very rushed. But hey I made it and it is delicious! Sweet white chocolate, chewy marshmallows, tasty almond nougat and crunchy almonds = awesome!

This is another treat that would be perfect to package up and give as a gift at Christmas time (or any time really). It will keep for up to 2 weeks in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.

So you know what to do, get in the kitchen and get baking :)



White Rocky Road (from Better Homes and Gardens - December 2007)
Makes about 20 pieces

2/3 cup slivered almonds
1 cup white marshmallows, roughly chopped
1/2 cup shredded coconut
150g vanilla almond nougat, roughly chopped
375g white chocolate, melted
  1. Line bottom and sides of 2 bar tins with baking paper.
  2. Combine almonds, marshmallows, coconut and nougat.
  3. Add the melted chocolate and stir to combine.
  4. Spoon mixture into prepared tins, cover with glad wrap and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until firm.
  5. Turn out rocky road and cut each bar into pieces.

Rating?
5 out of 5 reindeers!

25 comments:

Cathie said...

looks nice!
I was thinking about doing that for a couple of christmas recipes as I basically don't have time to photograph all the steps & I have been doing late night baking.
Looking at yours, I think it looks good, pfttt, I'll ditch a few photo sessions aswell :)

Lucky you only have Zoe to cause you disruptions..I have the two & a terible 2's tantrums happening here all of a sudden.

Gala said...

I've heard of rocky road but not of white rocky road...!

Tracy said...

Oooh, lovely! Looks amazing!!

Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life said...

HUGE 5! Looks YUMMYYYY!

Paris Pastry said...

I absolutely love rocky roads! I have never had a white chocolate one though, great gift for Christmas!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Alicia, it looks like something my one twin would love but what's almond nougat? Sorry if that's a dumb question! :)
~ingrid

Jessica - The Novice Chef said...

Looks delicious! I have never heard white rocky road, but it sounds awesome!

Elissa said...

They look so good, and I know someone who loves rocky road more than anything else so I think I will have to get baking!

Anonymous said...

Ingrid - Almond nougat is a type of candy - I just purchase mine but you can make it home (of course), you just need a candy thermometer.

Shannon said...

yum, I am an old softie for rockie road.

emma wallace said...

Looks absolutely divine, Miss Alicia! You are amazing.

By the way, I wrote a blog post about your amazingness!

iamemmamusic.blogspot.com

Karls said...

Oh my god! I think I just had tastegasm - and that was just from the pic!

Katie said...

Sounds delicious! I've never seen a white roacky road before, don't know why as it looks fab!

drollgirl said...

it is so beautiful! and it matches a new sweater i just got. :)

Mimi said...

Looks like something I need to have.
Mimi

Kat said...

I think the one photo did just fine for this recipe. It looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Emma - thank you! Just heading over now to have a look :)

Ash said...

Yet another gorgeous treat!! I do like this, very much!

Khadija El Mary said...

I love these white Rocky Road, they look so delicious.

cookies and cups said...

now this look delicious. seriously.

Renata said...

Alicia, you're just killing me with these delicious candies you've been posting!!!! Really yummy!

Julia @Mélanger said...

I've been having a terrible time with my photos lately - bad lighting/too overcast/too grey/too wet. URGH.

But in saying that, love your picture. Not a big white chocolate fan but that line up had me wanting to reach in and grab a square!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

YUM. I adore coconut and white choco. Killer combo!

apparentlyjessy said...

I am a huge fan of this recipe, it's perfect for those people who aren't too fond of cherries!
Mmmm white chocolate, I love it so, even though I shouldn't!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Sorry the weather and Zoe weren't cooperating! The pics you got are great. I love that you're sharing all these treats I've never heard of. Keep 'em comin, Alicia!