Monday, December 7, 2009

On the seventh day of Christmas (Peppermint Bark)

Can I just say that peppermint bark totally rocks my world!

How can something so simple taste so good?

Yummy white chocolate together with crunchy peppermint candy canes makes for an awesome Christmas treat. Also peppermint bark is a great sweet to give as gifts, easy to make and easy to love. Just pop a few pieces in a little plastic bag and then tie with some pretty Christmas ribbon - voila! You can also keep the peppermint bark in an air-tight container in the refrigerator if you want to make it in advance.

So what are you waiting for get yourself into the kitchen and make some now!


Peppermint Bark

500g white chocolate, melted
8 peppermint candy canes, crushed (just place the candy canes in a plastic bag and smack them around with a rolling pin - lots of fun!)
  1. Mix together the chocolate and candy canes.
  2. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
  3. Spread out the chocolate mixture on the baking trays. Allow to set.
  4. Break up the bark into whatever size pieces you want.

Yummy crushed candy canes...


Melted white chocolate...


Put the candy canes and chocolate together...


Mix it all up...


Spread it all out...


Let it set, and then break it up...



Rating?
5 out of 5 reindeers!

23 comments:

Kat said...

I have seen this around a lot on the net and always wondered whether it was any good. Glad to hear your verdict! I may just have to give this a go.

Anonymous said...

Jim-49 said
Boy,they say that the animals and snakes in the country are deadly,but Lady,your turning out some great cooking,and the pictures are so good!! These "Ladies",down there must be more deadly than the snakes!!I have also saw this on many blogs,but now,I must try it soon.Thanks for your work and time,we do appreciate it!! Jim,Southern Ms.,US,THAT IS!!

Gala said...

Yuuummmy!
That looks really great and sounds like a great gift to give away.
BUT did you know that the candy canes here in Germany don't taste like peppermint?! They're just plain old red and white sugar candy.

drollgirl said...

well whaddya know! i find it very attractive, and i have never tried it. maybe the time is right!!! all systems point to YES, GET IN THE KITCHEN AND MAKE IT!!

Ash said...

How easy is this!!! I'm gonna make it!!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Mmmmm the photos are sending me in to Christmas confection overload!! Yum!! :D

Anonymous said...

Gala - that is very interesting. I nearly picked up cherry flavoured candy canes by accident - eww!

jake williams said...

we think you should make us some of this for christmas =P jake and chase xx

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I love this batch of photos! The contrast of the cream (white) and red is terrific!
~ingrid

Shannon said...

Chocolate WIN

Chantel said...

holey Red Deer this looks dangerous - dangerous in the way I could eat all of this one peice after the other until it was gone.

I think this would make a really cute gift if I could actually give it away and not shove it in my gob! LOL

I think I might make some of this actually.

abigail said...

yum! I must make some tomorrow.

Gabbi said...

YUM!!♥♥♥

Miss Dot said...

I LOVE PEPPERMINT BARK!! It makes such a great gift to put into tins :) Hey -- check out this recipe I just found on brown paper packages' blog. I feel like it sounds like a sister to peppermint bark. Yum yum yum!

Paris Pastry said...

How easy is this?! I might try some with milk chocolate!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jake and Chase :) - sure you can have some peppermint bark - are you guys coming to Adelaide for Christmas?

Rose said...

I love the idea of this Alicia! And its so simple to make.

Rose

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

2 great ingredients that make me think of the holidays like no other. I love the simplicity of it too.

Elissa said...

I cannot believe it is that simple! Perfect last minute gift idea. I am definitely going to try this on the weekend to take to the Future In-Laws. Thank you again for inspiring me to get back into the kitchen!

sarah said...

i actually just made the same idea recipe, but i used semi sweet chocolate and then just sprinkled the candy cane on top... delicious!

alissa said...

peppermint bark is one of my favorite treats! yum yum yum

Unknown said...

It doesn't get any better than peppermint bark for the holidays! I may have to try out your recipe!! xo.

Kylie G said...

I'm going to make this today, thanks for the idea!