Monday, June 15, 2009

Baking Mondays - H is for Honey


Honey cupcake filled with honey and peanut butter frosting, topped with peanut butter swiss meringue buttercream and drizzled with honey.

Even though we had a tie this week between honey and hot chocolate, I decided to make the executive decision and bake honey flavoured cupcakes. A few people commented that they love the honey and peanut butter flavour combination - so that was the flavour direction I decided to go in. I found a recipe for lemon and honey cupcakes on Couture Cupcakes, I omitted the lemon juice and zest and added a tiny bit more honey and milk. I made my peanut butter swiss meringue buttercream, I really should of only made half the amount though - I had 12 cupcakes, but enough buttercream for 24! To assemble the cupcakes I cut a well out of each cupcake put a dab of honey and a bit of the peanut butter SMBC in each well, then replaced the lid. I then glazed the top of the cupcakes with some honey that I zapped in the microwave, swirled on the peanut butter SMBC and drizzled over some honey. The result is honey, peanut butter awesomeness!

The ratings?

Me - 6/10, great flavour combination, I wish I didn't beat the batter as much as I did, I think it was my beating that made the cakes a bit too dense.
Mat - 7.5/10, flavour of the cake was awesome, but the cake was a bit too dense. He would definitely like more honey cupcakes in the future.

8 comments:

apparentlyjessy said...

Oh I love that you did the honey peanut butter combo! I think they do look delicious, I will give them a go someday I reckon!
They look so decadent with the honey drizzled over the top! :)

drollgirl said...

i am CURSING because this looks so good!!! bah!!! you are some sort of baking wizard. i bow before you!!!!

Elissa said...

They look divine, my mouth is just watering!

alissa said...

yummy! i have toast and peanut butter almost every morning - this looks like a fabulous substitute!

Chantel said...

This looks sooo good :)

What a fab job!!!

Paris Pastry said...

Hmmm, the honey drizzle on top looks so inviting!

Amanda said...

Tasty! I haven't ever had peanut butter and honey together, but this sounds really persuasive. And I love that you filled this cupcake too.

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

I love all things honey!!