This week I wanted to try another chocolate cake recipe out and instead of a chocolate frosting I was in the mood for peanut butter flavoured swiss meringue butter cream (SMBC). Can I just say yum! These were great and I will definitely make them again.
Chocolate Cupcakes from Confetti Cakes for Kids by Elisa Strauss
Makes 12 cupcakes
6 ounces plain flour
2 ounces cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 ounces sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 ounces unsalted butter
7 ounces caster sugar
5 ounces strong prepared coffee
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a 12-hole muffin tray with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sour cream and vanilla extract.
- In a bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar and beat on medium speed until smooth.
- Set the mixer to low speed add the egg and then scrape down the sides.
- Alternately add the flour and sour cream mixtures to the butter mixture in 2 batches, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Scrape down the bowl after each addition.
- Gradually pour in the coffee. Scrape down the bowl and beat until combined.
- Divide batter among the muffin holes and bake in oven for 20-25 minutes.
Follow the recipe for almond SMBC but put in 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract, omit the almond essence and add 4 tablespoons of peanut butter instead.
Me - 9/10 - loved these!! Just need to perfect the baking time once I have an oven that can hold a steady temperature.
Mat - 9/10 - top stuff - SMBC was sensational!