This week I had some left over bananas that were beginning to get a bit overripe - so it was a perfect opportunity for some banana cupcakes. I decided to finish off the cupcakes with some lemon cream cheese frosting and it was delightful! I am very happy with these cupcakes.
So the recipes...
Sour Cream Banana Cupcakes (from The Australian Women's Weekly - Cupcakes)
90g butter, softened
110g brown sugar
75g self raising flour
75g plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
1/2 tsp mixed spice
2/3 cup overripe banana
80g sour cream
2 tbsps milk
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a 12-hole muffin tray with cupcake liners.
- Beat butter, sugar and eggs until light and fluffy. Note: If I do these again I will beat the butter and sugar on its own first, and then the eggs to get a better consistency.
- Stir in sifted ingredients, banana, sour cream and milk.
- Divide batter amongst cupcake liners, and bake for 20 minutes.
Made more than enough for 12 cupcakes
60g butter, softened
250g cream cheese
500g icing sugar, sifted
juice of 1 lemon
- Beat butter and cream cheese until combined, light and fluffy.
- Add the icing sugar and beat until combined.
- Add the lemon juice and beat until combined, and then keep beating until smooth.
And the ratings?
Me - 9/10 - yum, yum, yum! These were light, moist and delicious. The icing was very tangy and sweet - loved it! My only issue is that the cake could taste a little bit more like bananas.
Mat - 9/10 - best banana cake that I have made so far (even though I have only made one before :P)