What comes to mind when you think of yoghurt? To me it is instantly berries - delicious, fantastic berries. When yoghurt won the poll I knew straight away that I wanted to incorporate berries into the cupcakes somehow. But then I remembered the waffle cupcakes, they had blueberries in the cake and I only made them a short while ago. So I decided that the cake portion of these cupcakes would have to have a different flavour, something that goes well with berries. And that my friends is how I decided upon lemon yoghurt cupcakes.
Lemon Yoghurt Cupcakes (from Best Recipes)
Makes approximately 24 cupcakes
1 3/4 cups caster sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2-3 tsp lemon juice (I used 3)
Grated zest of 2 lemons
3/4 cup oil (I used vegetable oil)
1 cup natural yoghurt (I used low-fat)
2 cups self-raising flour
- Preheat oven to 180 C and line 2 12-hole muffin trays with cupcake cases.
- In a bowl mix sugar, eggs, salt, juice, zest and oil with a fork.
- Add remaining ingredients and combine well.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Now seen as I had some frozen blueberries left over from the previously made waffle cupcakes I decided that the buttercream would be blueberry flavoured, so....
Blueberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream
4 egg whites
270g caster sugar
250g unsalted butter
500g blueberries, pureed
- Follow the directions for Almond SMBC but replace the vanilla and almond with the pureed blueberries.
- Once the cupcake have cooled pipe a swirl of the SMBC onto each cupcake.
And just for a bit of fun I thought I would show you my miniature photography set up today. Normally I have a big light box out but I couldn't be bothered moving it. So a piece of paper and three lamps seemed to work quite nicely.
Me - 7/10 - I love the blueberry SMBC but the cake was a bit dense/too moist for me. Still yummy though :)
Mat - 7/10 - it was good but he is over lemon.