So cookies won the poll last week. Personally I was going for banana because I wanted to make some yummy banana split sundae themed cupcakes - but hey whatever you guys want, I'll make it. Since I already made Oreo cupcakes as part of the A... B... Cupcake project I didn't want to make another cookies and cream themed cupcake - so what to make? In steps one of my favourite food blogs - Culinary Concoctions by Peabody - if you like baking and you like blogging then you must visit this wonderful blog. I remembered a post a while ago about Cookie Dough truffles and thought that would be the perfect theme for my cupcakes this week.
Everyone likes sneaking a bite of the cookie dough before you bake the cookies. It is like an unwritten law in baking. These cookie dough truffles just take it to the next level - the dough is made for eating, NOT baking! They are egg free for all of those who are scared of eating raw egg - so there is no need to be afraid.
So before we start on the cupcakes, make up these yummy cookie dough truffles first....
Cookie Dough Truffles (from Culinary Concoctions by Peabody)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp salt (I left out the salt - bring on the sugar rush!)
2 cups plain flour
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
½ cup chocolate chips (I upped this to 1 cup - mmm chocolate)
- Using a stand mixer (or a bowl and beaters), cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- With speed on low, slowly add flour, alternating with condensed milk, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Shape into 1-inch balls and place into an air tight container. Store in freezer for at least 3 hours (I stored mine overnight).
Next we need to make the cupcakes...
Choc Chip Cupcakes (from Cupcake Heaven by Susannah Blake)
115g unsalted butter, softened
115g caster sugar
115g self-raising flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a 12-hole muffin tray with cupcake cases.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Sift in the flour and fold in, then stir in the vanilla extract (I added the vanilla extract in with the eggs).
- Sprinkle over the chocolate chips and fold in.
- Spoon mixture into cupcake cases and bake for 17 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
But we all know that such mishaps can be covered easily with a good dollop of frosting. So now that the cupcakes are cooling it is time to make a batch of Brown Sugar Swiss Meringue Butter Cream.
Now frost those babies...
Next I got a bit tricky with my cookie dough truffles and I coated them in milk chocolate (drool) - to do this I simply nuked 395g of milk chocolate in the microwave, dipped each truffle in the chocolate, then placed them on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Then pop those babies into the fridge until set. Yum!
Once they are set top each of the cupcakes with a cookie dough truffle...
Except this truffle - it was special you see, it had a little 'M' on it. I was going to give it to Mat but then I ate it. You know, to make sure it wasn't poisonous.
Now enjoy your cupcake in 3 simple steps...
1. Pick off the truffle and lick the frosting off of the bottom of it...
2. Eat said truffle...
3. Enjoy the choc chip goodness..
Me - 8/10, love the SMBC, the truffles were yummy - I just wished the cupcakes didn't sink.
Mat - 4/10, he didn't like the cookie dough truffle and the cake was too sweet - hard to please!
Oh and don't forget to enter the Sprout Head giveaway!