Banana Caramel Layer Cake (from The Australian Women's Weekly Classic Cakes)
Makes a 24cm bundt cake
(I made a 6" cake and 12 cupcakes instead)
185g butter, softened
175g caster sugar
335g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 1/4 cups mashed banana (I needed 4 bananas)
1/3 cup milk
380g can caramel Top'n'fill (I used half a tin)
3/4 cup thickened cream, whipped
1 large banana sliced thinly (I omitted this)
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease 24cm bundt pan well (or grease and line a 6" round cake tin, and line a 12-hole muffin tray with cupcake liners).
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in the sifted dry ingredients, mashed banana and milk.
- Spread mixture into bundt pan (or cake tin and cupcake liners).
- Bake for 40 minutes (took my cupcakes 20 minutes and my 6" cake 30 minutes).
- Stand cake in pan for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
- Split cake into three layers. Spread bottom layer of cake with half the caramel, top with half the cream then half the banana slices. Repeat next layer. Replace top of cake and dust with icing sugar to serve. (I only split my cake into two layers and I left out the banana slices because I didn't want them to go brown).
Happy birthday and 6 year anniversary Mat - love you!