Before we talk baking I have to say thank you everyone for your kind words and support in regards to my post on post natal depression. It has been so wonderful reading through all of your lovely comments, knowing that I am not alone in this and that the blogging community is always there to give me big virtual hugs. It is funny, since I wrote that post I have actually started to feel a lot better in general - like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders. So thank you everyone for listening and not judging.
Now on to the cupcakes. First of all - why is it that each week the sweet that I want to win the poll never makes it. I was really hoping to make a Cherry Ripe cupcake! Sheesh! But seriously I was kind of hoping that Death by Chocolate wouldn't win because I'm not actually that big a fan of chocolate. So of course it did win - Murphy's law!
These cupcakes are quite devilish - a moist chocolate buttermilk cake filled and topped with dark chocolate ganache, then a swirl of white chocolate swiss meringue buttercream and finally drizzled with milk and white chocolate. Wowsers - that is a lot of chocolate! I had quite a few taste testers for these cupcakes because I brought them to a dinner party - and they were definitely a hit. So if you or someone you know are a chocolate lover you should definitely give these cupcakes a try.
Chocolate Buttermilk Cake (from The Australian Women's Weekly - Classic Cakes)
Makes 24 cupcakes
180g unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
330g caster sugar
4 eggs, separated
110g self-raising flour
35g cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line 2 12-hole muffin trays with cupcake papers.
- Beat butter, extract and sugar in a small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolks, one at a time, until just combined.
- Transfer mixture to large bowl, stir in sifted dry ingredients and buttermilk.
- Beat egg whites in clean small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form, fold into cake mixture in two batches.
- Divide mixture into cupcake papers and bake for approximately 20 minutes (or until a skewer comes out clean). Note: my oven is not tip-top so your cupcakes make bake quicker/slower.
- Allow to cool slightly in muffin trays and then move to a wire rack to cool.
Dark Chocolate Ganache
226g dark chocolate, in small pieces
2/3 cup thickened cream
- Place chocolate into a bowl.
- Bring cream to boil in a small saucepan, remove from heat immediately and pour over chocolate.
- Stir until chocolate melts.
- Place ganache in fridge and stir every 10 minutes until you reach a good piping consistency.
White Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Follow the directions for Almond Swiss Meringue Buttercream, but omit the vanilla extract and almond essence, and instead add 200g of melted white chocolate that has been slightly cooled.
Assembling the Cupcake
- Cut out a well in each cupcake (eat the cut out piece :D).
- Fill the well with dark chocolate ganache (I piped in the ganache).
- Smear a layer of dark chocolate ganache on the top of the cupcake.
- Pipe a swirl of white chocolate swiss meringue buttercream on top.
- Melt 200g of milk chocolate, cool slightly and then coat the buttercream on each cupcake.
- Melt 100g of white chocolate, cool slightly, place in a piping bag and swirl onto the milk chocolate on top of each cupcake.