Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas Baking - Rum Balls

Hello again! Look at this I am actually staying true to my word and blogging again - and so soon!

Well as we all know it is that time of the year for Christmas baking and while I am not going as crazy as I did last year (see the 12 Days of Baking Days of Christmas) I am going to bake up a few goodies (four to be exact) to give to people as gifts. First on the agenda is rum balls - a classic Christmas treat that is super easy to make, great for gifting and of course tasty.

I thought I would try a new recipe this year and I while it is good, I think the recipe I used last year was better - but nonetheless I shall post the recipe up for you to peruse and I'll let you decide which you would like to make (if any).

So without further ado...

Rum Ball


Rum Balls (from some magazine - I tore out the page so now i'm not sure which)
Makes 45

400g packet digestive biscuits, broken
120g shredded coconut
125g good quality drinking chocolate
120g butter, melted
395g can sweetened condensed milk
60ml rum, or more to taste
25g good quality cocoa, to dust
1/2 cup sultanas (an extra that I decided to add)
  1. Place biscuits in a food processor and pulse until fine crumbs form. Transfer to a large bowl.
  2. Add coconut and drinking chocolate (and sultanas if you want).
  3. Stir in butter, then condensed milk. Mix well.
  4. Stir in rum.
  5. Chill for at least 30 minutes, or up to 24 hours.
  6. Roll teaspoons of mixture into small balls.
  7. Roll balls in cocoa to coat.
  8. Store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to serve.
Rum Ball

Rating?
Me - 3/5 - I thought it was a tad dry, but otherwise yummy.
Big sis - 4.5/5 - "I like it a lot. I could eat more."

4 comments:

Future Grown-Up said...

Oh that looks sublimely tasty. Lucky recipients who get that for a gift!

cocoa and coconut said...

Welcome back to blogging. Hope we see more delicious recipes, like this one. I've never seen rum balls before without a coating of coconut on the outside. But these sure do look good!

apparentlyjessy said...

Yum, I do like a rum ball or two at Christmas!
All I have baked this year is gingerbread cookies with the family, I'm too busy sewing presents to bake lots this year!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Um you had me at RUM. These look amazing.