Thursday, December 30, 2010

Cherry Pavlova

Cherry Pavlova

To me pavlova would have to be one of my all-time favourite desserts - so light and fluffy, so sweet and in general - so easy to make! Now I say 'in general' because there are a few areas where people go wrong. Firstly you need to be sure that when you are beating your egg whites that the bowl and whisk attachment are perfectly clean and dry - otherwise you won't be able to get those lovely stiff white peaks. Secondly you need to make sure that the oven is turned down nice and low so that you don't burn your meringue. And thirdly - don't open the oven door! The heat that escapes from the oven each time you open that door will mean that the element turns on, therefore you risk browning the pavlova. So if you avoid all of the usual traps you shouldn't have a problem baking your pavlova and you should have a very tasty dessert for very little effort.

Pavlova
Serves 6-8

4 egg whites, at room temperature
1 cup caster sugar plus 2 tbsps
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp white vinegar
  1. Beat egg whites until stiff but not too dry.
  2. Add sugar 2 tbsp at a time.
  3. Add cornflour, vinegar and vanilla and beat for 1 minute.
  4. Put onto a lined tray and smooth into a circle.
  5. Cook at 110C fan forced for 1.5 hours.
Cherry Syrup (from Margaret Fulton)

250g fresh cherries, stones removed
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cold water
  1. Cook cherries, sugar and water on a medium heat for 5 minutes or until cherries are soft.
  2. Puree in a blender, rub through a sieve.
  3. Return to a saucepan and cook on a high heat for another 5 minutes, until thick and syrupy.
Assembling

450ml thickened cream, whipped
1kg fresh cherries, stones removed
  1. Place pavlova on a serving plate and cover with whipped cream.
  2. Decorate with whole cherries and cherry syrup.

6 comments:

Deeba PAB said...

There is something about pavlovas Alicia...I find them entirely charming. Add cherries on them, and you've won me over! WOW...these are pretty, syrup & all. I think my sis has a Margaret Fulton baking book {British author?}. Have read your 3 tips with care...next time shall remember! Have a great 2011!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Very lovely, Alicia! I've only tried pavlova once and very recently at Central (a fancy DC restaurant). There was a lovely topping of tropical fruits and made for a delightfully light ending to a lovely meal. I like the playful cherries on your pavlova even more though. Happy New Year!

oneordinaryday said...

I've never tried my hand at pavlova before but yours looks perfect. I really need to try this.

Lulu froufrou said...

That looks so yum!! Pav is my favourite as well meringue, cream and fruit just perfect!!

apparentlyjessy said...

I saw the advert for that! I'm not that into pavolva, but even I was tempted buy that ad! Yours looks delicious! Margaret Fulton is a legend.

Kat said...

I so wanted to make pavlova for Christmas but since we were travelling 1 hour out to Corey's parents house I knew I wouldn't be able to get it to survive the trip. I will definately be making one soon though and thanks for the tips!