Unfortunately I did not get the chance to take any photos of our dinner, but suffice to say it was quite delicious. We had a chicken paella and simple garden salad for dinner, and then a berry and meringue dessert. Here are the recipes for anyone that is interested.
Chicken Paella (from Super Food Ideas - May 2007)
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp turmeric
6 chicken thighs on bones
2 tbsp olive oil
2 large chorizo sausages, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups arborio rice
400g can diced tomatoes
1 cup frozen peas
- Combine paprika and 1 teaspoon of turmeric in a bowl. Coat the pieces of chicken in the spices and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add chorizo, onion and garlic. Cook for 4 minutes or until chorizo is light golden. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add remaining oil to the pan. Cook chicken on one side for 4 minutes or until golden. Turn over and cook for a further 3 minutes. Add 1 cup of stock to the pan and reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for 8 minutes. Remove the lid. Boil gently, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until almost all liquid has evaporated.
- Combine 2 cups of remaining stock and remaining turmeric in a jug. Add rice, tomatoes and stock mixture to pan. Stir to combine. Return to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until almost all liquid is absorbed.
- Add peas, chorizo mixture and remaining stock. Simmer for 5 minutes or until stock is just absorbed. Season with salt and pepper.
Berry Meringue Smash
300ml thickened cream
500g frozen mixed berries, thawed
100g white chocolate, chopped
- Whip cream until soft peaks form.
- Crumble meringue with fingers into the cream and stir to combine.
- Gently mash the berries with a fork.
- Add the berries and white chocolate, and stir to combine.