Sunday, July 31, 2016

Bits and Bobs #3 - First step in machine piecing and fabric purchases

First Quilt Project

This week I started my little table runner quilting project, and I quickly realised how little I know! First of all - pressing. It seems like an easy enough thing to do, but I don't know if it is me or my iron - but it did not go as smoothly as I had hoped. Perhaps I need to be using starch to help? I'll see how it goes next time and go from there. Secondly - cutting. Again, seems like an easy enough thing to do, but I definitely need to work on my technique to increase my precision. Thirdly - actually sewing, I am a bit unsteady - which of course meant I went a little bit wonky. All in all though - I think I am going well. One small step on my long journey to quilty awesomeness.

I quickly realised that my seams are definitely not 1/4" (much bigger), so I ordered a 1/4" foot for my sewing machine to help me in the future. I've also ordered some Aurifil thread and some fabric online - eep! I can't wait until I get my packages - happy mail!!

I may have also bought some fabric from Spotlight. I spotted this cute bird pattern and decided to find some coordinating fabrics to go with it - yellows, corals, black, grey and teal. I'm quite excited by it!

New Fabric

I'm planning to use the new fabric to have a go at the #100days100blocks Instagram sew-along with Gnome Angel, Sweet Little Pretties and Sunflower Quilting. Seems like an absolutely crazy thing to do, but I'm going to try my hardest and just see what happens. I think I am actually going to make two quilts from the 100 blocks - 35 blocks will go towards a baby quilt and 65 towards a lap(ish) quilt. So I will need to find some different fabric choices for the 35 baby blocks - more fabric fun!

New Fabric

Reading: Tula Pink's City Sampler: 100 Modern Quilt Blocks by Tula Pink

Listening: David Bowie and Prince - still so sad that two of my favourites passed away this year.

Watching: Gilmore Girls, the Masterchef finales and The Bachelor (guilty pleasure).

Eating: Home cooked meals - all week long! Yay for being organised!

Fabric Stash

Til next time!