Me - 7/10, loved the frosting combination - the lemon was awesome! The cake was very moist and extremely tangy - maybe a little too tangy.
Mat - 5/10, not a raspberry fan :P
And now the recipes...
Lemonade Raspberry Cupcakes
1/2 cup butter
1 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup lemonade
zest and juice of one lemon
1 1/2 cups plain flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
24 fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a 12 hole muffin tray with cupcake liners.
- Beat butter until fluffy.
- Add the sugar and lemon zest and beat on medium-high until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl in between additions.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Add to the butter mixture and stir until combined.
- Add the lemonade and lemon juice, and mix to combine.
- Scoop mix into cupcake liners to two-thirds full. Inserting 2 fresh raspberries in each cupcake.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean.
Swiss Meringue Buttercream
4 egg whites
1 1/4 cups caster sugar
250g unsalted butter
- Combine the egg whites and sugar into a heatproof bowl and whisk over a saucepan of simmering water until sugar is dissolved and the mixture is as hot as you can get it without the egg whites cooking.
- With the whisk attachment on your mixer whisk the egg white and sugar mixture on high speed until a stiff meringue is formed and the mix has cooled down to room temperature.
- Now put the paddle attachment on your mixer and with the mixer on a low speed add a tablespoon or two of butter at a time. Once all the butter is incorporated turn the mixer up to medium speed and mix until the mixture is light and fluffy again.
- Divide the SMBC into two bowls.
- To make the raspberry swiss meringue buttercream add raspberry jam and a little red food colouring until you get the desired colour and flavour. Mix on medium speed until you get a good piping texture.
- To make the lemon swiss meringue buttercream add lemon juice and a little yellow food colouring until you get the descired colour and flavour. Mix on medium speed until you get a good piping texture.
- A creation by FRUITFLYPIE, http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=16748
- a pair of cupcake earrings from LOTS OF SPRINKLES at http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6057281.
- a sweet surprise from Sweet Cuppin' Cakes Cupcakery, http://www.acupcakery.com/
- PLUS, IronCupcake:Earth can not forget our good friend, CAKESPY, http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5243382, who is now going to be doing a piece for our winner each month until further notice - sweet!
Voting will begin no later than Wednesday, April 29 at 8 p.m. at NO ONE PUTS CUPCAKE IN A CORNER, http://www.ironcupcakemilwaukee.com and will be open through Monday, May 4 at 12 noon. But I will remind you of that later :).
Check out Iron Cupcake Earth at http://www.ironcupcakeearth.com to become a part of the excitement!!